3D mammography is also called tomosynthesis.
3D mammography, or tomosynthesis, is advanced technology that takes multiple images of the breast to recreate a 3D picture. This technology is different than traditional mammography which takes only a single image.
3D mammography allows our doctors to detect subtle changes in your breast, making it easier to find breast cancer at an earlier stage.
Why get an annual screening mammogram?
The implementation of screening mammography during the late 1980s and early 1990s helped reduce breast cancer mortality by 40%. This is due to earlier detection and treatment improvements.
Research shows annual screening beginning at age 40 saves the most lives. The best defense is early detection when cancer is small and easier to treat.
- It’s the second most common cancer diagnosis in women after skin cancer
- Each year, over 250,000 new cases of invasive breast cancer are diagnosed
- It is the second leading cause of cancer-related death in women
- Strikes one 1 of 8 women
- 1 out of 6 women are diagnosed in their 40s
- 3 out of 4 women diagnosed do not have risk factors
Breast Cancer Risk Factors
Known risk factors include:
- Family history and genetic factors
- Atypical cells on a prior breast biopsy
- Early menstrual periods, starting before age 12
- Late menopause, after age 55
- Postmenopausal use of combined estrogen and progestin
- Dense breast tissue
- Alcohol use
- Physical inactivity
- Poor nutrition
Nearly 8 million women have benefitted from having a 3D mammogram. Research shows that 3D mammography can increase breast cancer detection rates by 40%.
Our specialty-trained radiologists have years of experience in 3D mammography. This gives us an advantage when it comes to detecting breast cancer. CORA and CMI are proud to have received the accreditation of “Breast Imaging Center of Excellence” by the American College of Radiology. We are the only full-service center offering mammography, ultrasound, and MRI to have earned this accreditation in Central and Eastern Oregon.
To learn more about 3D mammography and to make an appointment, call 541.382.9383.